Thursday, July 17, 2008

Santaquin Canyon Hike


My younger brother (the same one I always hike with) told me about a cool hike up Santaquin Canyon. It was hard to imagine that canyon being very scenic because from I15 it looks very dry and barren. My brother told me that the hike was really easy. It has about 1,600 ft elevation gain so its not "really easy". We started early in the morning (around 7:00am). The canyon road wound up toward the top of the mountain beside a creek. Just driving up to the trail head was very scenic with great rock formations typical of most Utah canyons. The hike began in a pine forest near a campground. It always amazes me how cool the temps are up in the canyons even on a 95 degree day in the valley. If I wasn't hiking & generating some body heat, I would have needed a light coat. The hike made nearly a complete circle as it followed the rim of the mountains. There were a lot of guys on horses. That is the laziest way to hike and will never get you in shape, but allows the same incredible views. The hike was full of beautiful scenery. At one point in the hike there were waterfalls spilling down steep walls on both sides of us. There was a butterfly hangout that had every kind of butterfly imaginable near where water was coming out of the rock wall. We had to cross the creek numerous times, but used logs and stones to avoid getting our boots wet. This hike was worth the trip.

5 comments:

angie said...

ok... I'm linked to both of your blogs :) Now where's the link to my homemaking blog? lol

www.theamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com

Tobin said...

1,600 ft elevation gain, Please! Let me know when you go out next will ya??

B said...

man that water fall is sick.. going to have to check that out next spring.

Jess said...

Hi - I'm looking for a great hike to backpack this weekend, and I stumbled onto your blog. What campground did this hike start from? Do you remember? And how many miles is it? Will you post another comment on this entry with whatever you'd be willing to share with me? I'll come back and check your blog again.

Evan said...

Is there anything more you can post about how to find the trail head to the waterfall?